Fish Passage Engineering Specialization

Education in Engineering and Ecohydrology

MSCE with Specialization in Fish Passage Engineering

The University of Massachusetts Amherst offers a Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCE) degree with a specialization in Fish Passage Engineering. The curriculum is offered through the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and is designed to provide an engineer with the additional skills in hydraulics and ecohydrology needed to analyze and design solutions for enhancing fish passage in streams and rivers.

Fish passage engineering is an interdisciplinary field that combines the sciences of hydrology, hydraulics, ecology, biology to solve problems in natural and engineered fishway design, dam breach/removal, stream restoration, and watershed management.
Applicants are expected to possess an undergraduate degree in an engineering discipline. The specialization is offered as part of the Master of Science in Civil Engineering degree. It is possible to begin studies in either fall or spring semester and complete coursework two semesters.
There is a need for engineers with fish passage expertise in state and federal government, consulting firms and environmental organizations.
Many students are self-funded. There are some opportunities for fellowship and research support.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is near to major fish passage facilities of the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the US Geological Survey. These associations make UMass uniquely positioned to provide an education in Fish Passage Engineering.