University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


EWRE Degree Programs

Graduate Program Degrees

Application Deadline: January 2
Apply Now! 
Admission Information

MS Degrees

  • Master of Science in Environmental Engineering
  • Master of Science in Civil Engineering

Two main paths are available for obtaining the M.S. degree through the Environmental and Water Resources Engineering Program. The two paths are the research option and, the coursework option. The specific degree requirements and the appropriate degree depend on your undergraduate background and if the degree is research based or not.

The research option is usually followed by students receiving financial support in the form of a research or teaching assistantship (RA, TA). The coursework option is designed to be completed in 9 to 12 months; students pursuing this option receive no or partial financial assistance. Students who have been admitted into the Program without an engineering baccalaureate must make up prerequisite coursework at the basic level of undergraduate engineering in order to be eligible for the M.S. degree.

For more information, please see the Graduate Student Handbook

For current UMass CEE undergraduates, please find information about the accelerated, course-based master’s option here.


The PhD Degree

The Program has a PhD research program which offers students the chance to do original research. Such high level research may contribute to a new view of an aspect of environmental and water resources engineering, or a solution to an existing problem. It also provides students with the opportunity to obtain the credentials in the environmental and water resources engineering profession needed to practice engineering at the highest level.

Graduates of the PhD program are employed in a variety of areas including faculty positions at, Colorado State University, Union College, University of Pennsylvania, Case Western Reserve, University of Florida, University of New Hampshire, the State University of New York at Buffalo, University of New Haven and Worcester Polytechnic Institute. 

For more information, please see the Graduate Student Handbook


Enrolled Students